Sunday, May 13, 2012

I would never describe myself as a public  person. However my life changed forever on July 23, 2011. It's hard to sum up the past ten months in a few brief sentences, here's my attempt:



The first thing that comes to my memory was the heat. Summer heat in Afghanistan is no joke, add 100+ pounds of armor, ammunition, and gear its nearly unbearable. Especially when your patrolling in in the grape rows.to my knowledge  the mission was a success to my knowledge. We were RTB (Returning To Base) after securing a LZ (Landing Zone). I never made it back. The first IED (Improvised Explosive Device) I stepped on sent me reeling. I crashed hard onto the ground and my machine gun fell from my arms. Instantly I made sure my legs were still attached to my body. After a deep sigh of relief I stood back up and picked up my weapon. I was asked if I could continue, I'm an Infantryman of course I could.

We took a brief moment to take a picture with the HME jug, it's not everyday you step on an IED and remain unscathed. Before resuming the mission my team leader said to me, "Your one lucky SOB."

I proved him wrong the next step.

Luckily my weapon smashed into my face breaking my jaw, fracturing my skull, and knocking out my teeth. The lucky part of that was the impact knocked me unconscious.

My left leg was instantly blown off, the remainder chopped off the next day due to fungus spores. The right leg mangled beyond recognition, in the end it will be approximately 10-12 inches. My pelvis fractured in two places. Infections consumed my body nearly taking my life. My right arm could have been amputated but the doctors salvaged it. I have little use of it.






No one that was there that day thought I was going to live. Even the doctors told my mother it was 50/50. I was in coma for over a week and had hellish nightmares. Between the injuries and pain meds I believed the nightmare was how I was injured. It took me nearly four months to completely rejoin the real world.

After 40 surgeries, 109 blood products, 2 months in the ICU, 8 months in the hospital, 6 wound vacuums, 1 super pubic, 1 colostomy bag, 1 to many brushes with death (thank you sepsis), around the clock antibiotics, to many to count infections, I AM ALIVE!

The three people I have to thank the most are: God, my Mother, and my Fiancee. I have been given a second chance and that's why I am writing this blog. I don't want anyone's sympathy our to feel sorry for me. However I do want to pay it forward and help anyone I can.




This will sound crazy but this is the best thing that ever happened to me. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON


13 comments:

  1. I love you brother. Youre a hero, and never forget that you were a hero before this. What happened to you didn't make you a hero. You were a hero long before that. You're an amazing and courageous person derek and you're not forgotten. Stay strong in the faith. Sometimes your only option is faith because it is the last card in your hand, but it's the wild card.

    -Kurtz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, you were always an inspiration as a fighter, way before you signed up for the military. I remember one day out by the busses at school (when I was in 8th grade, so around 2007/2008), some kid was pushing Matt around and trying to start a fight. You stood up for Matt, and the bully stopped. He never bothered him again. Matt called you "superman" after that. I don't know if you remember this, but I do, and Matt does.

    Miss you man -- Ken Wangner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your FB updates for about a year. I appreciate your willingness and determination to share your story with the rest of us. Since the war is not "at my front door", it is too easy for me to get caught up in my own little world. I easily don't think about the grief and horrors of it. You have suffered and sacrificed so much while I sit comfy and secure in my house, on my street and in my town. Thank you Derek. The following quote reminds me so much of what you and so many others exemplify day after day. "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." ~Ambrose Redmoon

    ReplyDelete
  4. To read your words is truly inspirational and to hear your journey as you come forward from what might have broke weaker man, is something else. I have always believed that writing is truly the best way to express ones self and find hope for the future. I hope that is what you find in doing this. Like many before have said, you are a hero and be proud of what you have accomplished.

    Sincerely,
    Mary Beth Puckett
    (A friend of your mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derek . . . As the former Naval Officer father of one of your fellow soldiers and a pastor I thank you for your service and sacrifice and that of your family. I know I've told you that before on your mother's blog but after reading your entry I was moved to write it again. Sgt Kurtz and Ken Wangner's posts are good reminders that a man's character is not forged on the battlefield or in adversity, but it is revealed there whether the setting is a middle school bus stop, on the ground in Afghanistan or at Walter Reed and beyond. My prayers and those of our church continue to be with you. Continue "Climb[ing]to glory!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly an inspiration! Keep up the great work. Thank you for your service and dedication! May God continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the definition of a warrior Derek. You are an inspiration to me and keep me pushing forward in the fight. I am in awe of you good sir. Keep this blog going, the world needs to hear the story and thoughts of a true american warrior.

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Derek-I have been following you since you came home. You have been through so much. Your blogging and sharing your story must be very healing. I believe your sharing is going to help other wounded warriors and their family members get to the same place emotionally that you are at. You are a blessed man! Your strength and courage are beyond words. I love to see that you are not only ALIVE but LIVING! God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have also been following you. Please know how much I care about you and wish always the best for you. I Thank You for your service. I will follow you blog.


    Thanks again,
    Mary Hartwick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Derek, Thank you for continuing to share your experiences and your personal thoughts. I have had the honor of meeting you a few times at Walter Reed and will be attending the fundraiser next weekend. I just saw and spoke to you last Wednesday in the MATC. I am the guy from Wayne, NJ doing the modified game controls for CPT Johnson. Be well, be strong, and keep inspiring us all! Ken Jones

    ReplyDelete
  11. Derek first thank you for your sacrifice and for sharing your story. Second I have been following your story since the first day when your mom posted about what happened on a mutual facebook post that we were posting on through the same radio station that we listen to. From that day I have been keeping prayers for you to get better and you are proof that PRAYERS get answered! You and Krystina and your Mom are so so strong! You are a true inspiration! I know for sure that all good things will continue for you and Krystina! Thank you again Derek and KEEP TRECKING! Prayers will continue and Thank you for being such a wonderful inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow-Derek. I have followed your story since the beginning...so many nights I have said prayers that you would hold on through the night, beat the infections and beat the odds--AND YOU DID!!!! So proud of you! You are an amazing human being, a true hero and an inspiration to all of us. I look forward to hearing the story from your perspective and I am sure plenty of other wounded warriors and families will also be captivated by your words. Your Mom and Krystina are also amazing. God Bless you all--and KEEP CLIMBING!! The sky is the limit for you young man!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely heartwrenching and beautiful Derek! love you, rosanna

    ReplyDelete