Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Story That Inspired Me

  Below is a story that unexpectedly had the power to move me emotionally. I never expected to have such an impact on another persons life, yet I am honored. Only with permission I share her tale. Here is an unbridged account of this woman's story:



"Hi there...I really should write you and Siobhan a letter...but it's not likely that I will get around to it...so-I'll just tell you. Siobhan was a brand new Army Mom on our website when Derek was injured. At the time, I was home caring for my mother...she had Alzheimer's and was bed bound with a variety of health problems. I was lucky that I was able to take early retirement a couple of years ago to care full-time for her. At the time of Derek's injury---my mom was on the last leg of her earthly journey. I had a two hour routine that I ran through, then I would sleep for an hour and start again. Siobhan's blog and ya'll's daily-sometimes hourly updates-were such an encouragement to me. I would tell "Nana" about Derek...and remind her that he was that red-headed boy (she's a red-head.) She had in her mind that he was a boy from school (also named Derek) who was wounded in Korea with my dad. Funny how with Alzheimer's they can remember the past-but not the current days. Anyway-when she would fuss about her exercises or being turned, I would use Derek as an example..and she would be more cooperative. When Derek was so sick with that weird infection, we would pray the bugs away and she would make unkind remarks about how dirty Korea was and that would trigger a memory of when my Dad was in Korea and Vietnam and she would just tell stories about him till she fell asleep. I learned so much about my dad in the last year. Nana passed away a few weeks ago...and I wonder if not for Derek and his mama and you, I would not have had Derek's story to tell Nana, and she in turn would not have recalled my father's days in Korea and Vietnam. By opening up ya'lls life, you helped make my last year with my mother productive and simply more fun. Thank you!"

2 comments:

  1. D, I am reading through the Guestbook on my blog as well as rereading the blog itself. The comments from people are amazing. You really did touch a lot of lives. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this. Amazing how many people have followed your story and contiue to follow you and Krystine. You are an inspiration Derek! Even when you were at your weakest your strength and willingness to fight have pulled me through some tough times! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete